When it comes to choosing the best caravan steps for you and your family to better access your caravan, things might become a little bit more difficult than you might have originally anticipated.
There are lots of different types of steps available on the market, and choosing the right ones for you is going to require some thinking.
There are many things that you will need to think about in terms of accessibility and convenience, and some steps just might be better suited towards you and your guests than others would be.
You might find that you have to try out a few different styles to find out what works best, but there is no issue with this as long as you are able to return the product without any hassle.
Some of the best steps for caravans will come with a handrail, so you can avoid tripping or falling when going up the steps, and it just helps to add a little bit more security.
Everyone is going to have different needs, but we are going to be looking at some of the best caravan steps, and looking at the materials that have been used to make them, so you don’t have to do all of the hard work.
In a Hurry?
We can understand why you might be in a bit of a rush to get some steps for your caravan and make getting in and out a lot easier.
This is why we will leave our number one pick here for your quick and easy viewing, so you can make a quick decision.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read More
After researching some of the best caravan steps with handrails that are available on the market, we found that the best choice was the Easylife Lifestyle Solutions safety step with handrail.
This step has everything that you might need from a caravan step, and the handrail helps to add an extra sense of security. It is secure, stable, and ready to use, and it is a highly popular option.
Best Caravan Steps With Handrail – Plastic or Metal Steps
This is a lightweight and portable stool that is both steady and stable and made from high-quality steel.
You will be able to move it around with ease if you need to put it away, and it comes with a handrail to give you extra peace of mind when you are manoeuvring the steps.
It also includes a non-slip step as an extra safety measure, so you can be sure that it is safe to use in any weather.
The measurements of this product are as follows; L26xW38xH28cm and the handrail height is 89cm.
- The stool itself is lightweight and portable
- The handrail will provide extra stability and security
- The steps are non-slip to help avoid accidents
- They will provide you with enough height for higher caravans
- These steps are not the best for stability, and customers have noted that they are not stable enough for those who struggle to get up steps
- Safety first! The step stool with a handrail for extra peace of mind.
- Lightweight and portable, steady and stable, made from sturdy steel.
- Featuring a stability handrail for reassuring support .
- Includes a non-slip step surface for sure-footed confidence.
- Platform size: L26xW38xH28cm, handrail height: 89cm.
This step stool comes complete with a handrail and is ideal for giving you an extra boost to help you step into your caravan.
This is a versatile step that can be used to help you get to harder to reach places, and it has a soft foam grip handle that will provide you with additional support and stability.
The step itself has an anti-slip rubber surface to make it safer to use, and it also has four rubber ferrules that will help on more slippery surfaces, like if it is raining outside.
It has a sturdy design that will stay put in use, and it will make accessing your caravan much more convenient.
- The handrail will help to give you extra support and stability
- There is a soft foam grip handle for you to use comfortably
- The step has an anti-slip rubber surface for extra safety
- There are four rubber ferrules that make it work better on slippery surfaces
- It has a sturdy design that will stay put during use
- The product is more slippery than some others, and might not be suitable for everyone
- Ideal for use around the home
- Has an anti-slip rubber surface
- Soft foam grip handle
- Comes with four rubber ferrules for slippery surfaces
- Sturdy design
This step will help to ensure the safety of you and your guests when accessing your caravan, and the double step with a handrail has a cream powder coated steel frame and has a very sturdy and solid construction that you can rely on.
There is also an anti-slip top on the steps to make sure that you don’t slip as you go up them, and they can be used in all weather conditions, though you may have to take extra care.
These steps also feature anti-sink bars and rubber feet for extra stability when in use, and the additional handrail is really useful to help you to use these steps with confidence.
It can even be placed on either side of the steps, depending on what is more convenient for you. The step heights are 18cm and 38cm, and the handrail height is 110cm in total. The overall dimensions are 62.5cm x 43cm x 110cm, and the product itself weighs 4kg.
- These steps can help to ensure the safety of you and your guests
- It features a cream powder coated steel frame with a solid construction
- There are anti-slip surfaces to prevent any accidents
- They have anti-sink bars and rubber feet for added stability
- It is quite bulky, which can make it difficult to store away when it is not in use
- Cream powder coated frame - extremely solid construction
- Anti-Slip rubber tops - prevents you slipping.
- Anti-sink bars and rubber feet - for stability.
- Handrail - adds stabilty and can be used on either side.
- Step heights: 18 and 38cm
These steps have low heights that are easy to climb between, and they have a smaller size overall, making them more compact for storage when needed.
They have an impressive load limit of 300kgs, and they are more than ideal for using with your caravan for you and your guests.
The steps are both stylish and robust, and they are made using an all-metal construction, featuring a mild steel bright coated frame, aluminium tread plates, and two stainless steel detachable handles for increased versatility of use. These steps will be able to provide you with many years of use outdoors without breaking down.
You will be supplied with two brackets so that you can fix it into position stably, and you can use this with your caravan to make accessing it much easier.
The dimensions include 195mm to the first step, 325mm high to the second step, and the 820mm wide handle height is 890mm from the floor.
This product is also suitable for accommodating those with disabilities, and it also includes a fitting to bolt the steps down securely.
- These low steps are very easy to climb between
- They can carry an impressive 300kgs at one time
- They will last for many years to come, making them a great investment
- You can use the additional accessories to make them more secure and stable
- They are suitable for those with disabilities due to the sturdy design
- None that we could find
- Low step heights Smaller overall size with an impressive load limit of 300 Kgs
- Detachable handrails Specially designed for disabled or mobile caravan use
- All metal construction for years of outdoor use
- Supplied with 2 x brackets for stable fixing in position
- Sizes 195mm to first step ,325 mm high to the second step. 820 mm wide Handle height is 890mm from floor
These steps will provide you with absolutely everything that you could possibly need from a set of caravan steps, and they are both stylish and sturdy, providing you with low step heights and a double handrail.
The handrail that leads on to the platform can be moved from left or right, depending on the way in which your door opens, which is a really convenient feature to have.
These steps have a maximum load limit of 300kgs, which is really high in comparison to some other similar products, and it is more than ideal for use with your caravan.
These steps have aluminium non-slip tread plates to help you keep safe when climbing the steps in all types of weather conditions, and the handrails are also removable.
The steps are designed so that they can fit through caravan doors when they are not in use, and the platform can be taken off of the steps so save even more space when storing them.
This product features a durable chrome finish and stainless handrail, which make it more than perfect for outdoor use, and you can be sure that it is going to last for a very long time.
- These steps are able to provide you with everything that you need
- They are both stylish and sturdy, with low step heights for your convenience
- They can be used in all types of weather conditions, and are suitable for the outdoors
- It can all come apart easily for when you want to store it away
- The solid construction and durable finish means that they will be long-lasting
- This step and platform is stylish yet robust and benefits from low step heights and double hand rail. The handrail on the to platform can be moved from left or right depending on the way your door opens.
- Aluminium non slip tread plate. Load limit of 300 Kgs
- Ideal for caravans, dorm mobiles, camper vans. Hand rails are removable and step is designed to fit through caravan doors for storage when not in use. The platform can be removed from the steps and all the handrails can be removed too.
- This item also benefits from a durable chrome finish and stainless 30mm dia hand rail making it idea for outdoor use.
- The step sizes are as followed 800 mm long. 480 Wide. 100 mm first step. 260 mm second step and 3rd step 390 mm. The platform is 480 mm wide 680 mm long. The distance from the floor to platform is 490 mm and from floor to the top of rail is 1300 mm.
Now that you have seen our list of the best caravan steps with handrails, you might be left wondering which one that you should choose.
There are a few different things that might affect your decision-making process, and we will leave them below for you to read about.
Single or Double Steps
When it comes to the design of the steps, you can choose from two different types, and these types include either double or single steps.
A lot of people tend to prefer the single-step version due to the fact that they are smaller and more compact, which, in turn, means that they are also much lighter.
These are all great features to think about when it comes to storing them away when they are not in use. Single steps are going to take up less room, helping with space-saving if you are stretching for space already.
After all, space is a luxury when it comes to owning a caravan, and bulky double steps might get in the way if you do not have much room available to you.
However, double steps are actually sturdier as they are lower and spread over a more even surface.
This makes them much more stable when you are walking up and down the steps. Though, due to their size and design, you might have a harder time moving them in and out of your caravan, especially if they are particularly heavy.
Interestingly, you can purchase collapsible and foldable models of these double steps, which can mean that they save just as much space, but you should keep in mind that they are more likely to come at a higher cost.
The Surface of the Steps
Another important thing that you will need to think about is the surface of the steps, as some are definitely going to be better than others.
No matter which type of steps that you choose to buy, you should try and make sure that they have a non-slip tread that will allow them to be used safely in all types of weather conditions.
There are a few different types of treads, like rubber plater, metal mesh, and any other non-slip surfaces, and these can really help to make a difference when it comes to safety.
If the steps that you have chosen do not have any tread on them to make them safer to use, you can actually do some DIY and create a non-slip surface yourself.
You can buy non-slip mats, cut them to size, and secure them to your steps, but you will need to make sure that you do so safely, and check that they don’t come off over time. Otherwise, what started as a safety precaution could easily become a tripping hazard.
Another great type of tread to have on your caravan steps is one that glows in the dark, which is a feature that some will have. This might not be as common, but it would definitely be helpful when you are using your steps at nighttime.
Plastic or Metal Steps – Which is Better?
There are a few different types of caravan steps that you can choose from, and the one that you choose is entirely up to you, though each of them does have its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
You can typically buy caravan steps that are made up of either aluminium, steel, or plastic, and these are the options that are more widely available for you to choose from.
When it comes to choosing between them, you will need to look at what each has to offer in order to make a decision.
Metal Caravan Steps
When it comes to metal caravan steps, you will definitely be getting what you paid for.
They are going to be much stronger than any plastic steps due to the fact that the material itself has more strength and durability, and this will also mean that they will be able to take more weight than plastic steps.
For families that are constantly going up and down their caravan steps, this is probably going to be the best option for you, as they are more likely to last longer. However, if the steps are not going to be used very frequently, then you might be better off looking for an alternative.
Another great thing about metal steps is that they typically have some sort of folding mechanism that allows you to fold them away. This makes storing them much easier, and you will be able to save more space by doing this rather than having to keep steps in your caravan when you don’t have room for them.
There isn’t typically much difference in weight between the two types of steps, but you might actually find that these are the lighter alternative, so you won’t have to add as much weight to your caravan’s load.
It is recommended that you avoid buying steps that have been painted or decorated, as they are more likely to rust with ease in comparison to plain old metal.
The same can be said for painting your steps yourself, and while it might look more pleasing, it will just make them more likely to break down in a shorter amount of time.
You should also make sure that if you are storing them away, they are completely dry both inside and outside. If there is any water present, they are likely to be rusted when you take them out to use.
One of the biggest downsides of metal steps is that they can become quite costly, depending on the ones that you choose.
One of the best things about plastic steps is that you won’t have to worry about them rusting over time. They are pretty much good to go in all types of weather, and they are generally heavy enough to stay in place when you go up and down them.
However, a big downside to plastic steps is that they will not be able to fold away, so they are going to take up a lot more room in terms of storage.
If you are already struggling for room in your caravan, then this might be a bit of an issue, so you should probably look at a foldable alternative.
These types of steps also aren’t as durable as metal steps and can be more susceptible to damage. If you are going to get plastic steps for your caravan, make sure that they are durable and long-lasting to avoid disappointment.
Look at the materials that have been used to make them, and even check out customer reviews to see what other people think about them.
Another great thing about plastic steps is that they typically cost less than metal steps as they are cheaper to make, so this could be the perfect option for those that are on a budget.
If the cost is not a concern, then we would recommend metal steps over plastic ones due to their durability and convenience.
Otherwise, you should consider a plastic alternative.
Both are great for their own reasons, but ultimately, your decision will come down to what will work the best for you and your family.